Decorating the dining area with a beautiful meshy carpet is almost everyone’s wish. A carpet can completely change the look and make the area more warm and welcoming. But the issue comes to maintaining carpet. Spills, moisture, foods make the carpet dirty, as well as the chairs on the carpet, distort its shape. In fact, you can see a crumpled or twisted carpet where the chair stands are placed.
To solve this problem, it is necessary to know the ways of protecting the carpet under the dining table. Also, maintenance tactics are important too to make the carpet long-lasting. And in this article, I am going to mention different ways to protect the carpet laid under the dining table from damage.
Here, I will talk about some alternatives as well as tell the ways to protect the traditional carpet in the dining space. So you need not worry at all. You will get all the solutions in this one article. So let’s start the discussion.
Protect The Carpet Under Dining Table With Plastic Mats:
If you are having a tough time thinking about how you can show off your stunning carpet as well as keep it clean, I got you. You are maybe one of them who doesn’t prefer any alternative. You do what you want. So okay, you can display the carpet under the dining table as well as protect it by adding an additional layer on it; a plastic mat.
Choose a clear plastic mat that is slightly bigger than the table mats. Commonly known as office floor clear mats, these plastic mats are very effective for keeping the carpet safe. But how? Here are some points that will explain how the plastic mats can save the carpet:
- The mats are placed individually under the chairs. This means they can be removed very easily without moving the other chairs. So laying them and removing them is super simple;
- The mats are clear. So you can still show the beauty of the carpet beneath it. The mat on it is just a clear layer on the carpet which won’t hide it completely. So it remains aesthetically intact;
- Crumpling of the carpet is a common issue that can be solved with these mats. The impact on the carpet is completely eliminated with the mat beneath it. The carpet remains flat and untouched as the entire impact is on the plastic mats;
- The plastic mats don’t allow the spills and dirt to touch the carpet. The food spills, spices, oil, etc. fall on the plastic mats only and won’t affect the carpet at all. So it stays clean;
- Cleaning the plastic mats is very easy. If you see any dirt or spill on the mats after a meal, wipe it away with a cloth. For deep cleaning, you can take them away and hose off the dirt or apply soapy water. That’s it;
- The plastic mats are sturdy and long-lasting. They won’t break or tear easily. Besides, they also increase the longevity of the carpet as it remains clean and doesn’t bear the pressure of the chair and table stands;
- Moving chairs on the plastic mats is very easy. The chairs slide smoothly on the plastic mats unlike on the meshy carpet. So the chair stands won’t get stuck on the carpet anymore with the plastic mats under the table;
So the instant and basic way to protect the carpet under the dining table is to lay clear plastic mats beneath the chairs and the table.
5 Alternatives To Carpet Under Dining Table: Know The Options
Now let’s come to the alternatives. See, laying carpet under the dining table may not be the best choice. There are many other options that are better in terms of maintenance and protection. The alternatives that I am going to suggest as easy to use, simple to slide the chair on, and convenient to clean. In terms of look, there may be some limitations but they aren’t that bad!
You already have the option of laying plastic mats beneath the chairs and dining table. But who knows, maybe knowing the alternatives can give you a better solution. So in this part of the article, I will mention five alternatives to carpet that you can lay under your dining table:
Wood Grain Interlocking Foam Mats:
Made of polythene and plastic with a faux wood look, this mat is a premium choice for the dining space. Available in different colors of natural wood, this can match with almost any home decor. So you can actually replicate the look of the wooden floor in your dining space with these wood-look mats.
The interlocking system of the foam mats makes it easy to install. You can either cover the entire dining space or just lay around the dining table and chairs. These mats are extremely sturdy but have a smooth surface. So moving chairs on them won’t be an issue and they won’t be damaged if used roughly.
These mats are almost as soft as carpets. So it can actually work as a good alternative to carpet but a convenient one. To be more precise, here are some benefits of using these mats:
- These mats give foot comfort as made of foam and are soft;
- The wood grain foam mats are fairly water-resistant;
- The wood grain pattern gives a look of a wood flooring but feels like a carpet flooring due to the soft touch;
- The mats are highly durable and won’t be damaged easily;
- These mats are easy to clean. In fact, you can remove the mat that is dirty and clean it and then put it back rather than cleaning the entire flooring;
- As available in different colors and prints, you can choose the stylish one for your dining space;
So yes, you can surely consider this alternative if you are fond of wood floors but want a touch of carpet.
Vinyl Floor Rag:
Vinyl floor rags are always the top choice for most customers. The primary reason is the outstanding variation in design, pattern, and colors in vinyl flooring mats. As popular as the vinyl tiles are, the vinyl flooring rags are equally popular.
Vinyl flooring rags are versatile, aesthetically pleasing as well as highly durable. For the dining space and kitchen, these mats are exactly what you want. They are water-resistant, won’t stain easily, and remain as it is for years no matter how roughly you use them. Made of PVC, vinyl flooring mats are long-lasting and easy to maintain.
Here are some benefits of installing vinyl floor rugs on the dining floor:
- Vinyl flooring mats are highly durable and long-lasting;
- They are fairly impact-resistant. So the chances of damage, wear, and tear is minimal;
- As it is water and stain-resistant, vinyl flooring mats are perfect for the dining area;
- Vinyl flooring mats are available in a number of designs and colors. So you will get an excellent dining room flooring with these mats;
- Cleaning vinyl mats are very simple and convenient;
- They are more inexpensive than carpets;
I consider vinyl floor mats as a smart and stylish alternative to carpet flooring. Do check them out once before deciding.
Hand Woven Jute Mat:
If you like it all-natural and earthy in your dining space, having a hand-woven jute rug in the dining space won’t be a bad idea. This gives a farmhouse look and a warm and welcoming touch in the dining space. Needless to say, walking on a jute mat is very comfortable and soothing.
Handwoven jute mats are surely not waterproof. But they can be washed easily. However, spills can be cleaned off the jute mat using a brush dipped in soapy water. Baking soda is also a suitable agent to clean a hand-woven jute mat. So basically, it is easier to maintain than maintaining carpet flooring.
Handwoven jute mat has some benefits. They are listed below:
- Jute mats are non-slippery. So it is completely safe for your kids;
- Jute mats give a warm and homely feeling that no other mat can give. It is simple but looks beautiful in the dining area;
- Cleaning spills and food residues from jute mat is easy;
- Just like you wash clothes, you can wash a jute mat once 6 months to keep it clean;
- Jute mats are comfortable to use;
- They are affordable;
- Wearing or tearing is unusual in jute mats. So they are long-lasting and durable;
Think of it once. It can be a better option than a traditional carpet.
Polypropylene Indoor Rug:
To highlight the dining area, you can surely choose a polypropylene indoor rug. I specifically admire the look of these mats. This has a distressed look due to the hand-woven crafting. But the motifs across the border are exceptionally beautiful. It has a royal touch in the design. Available in different shades and combinations, these mats are excellent for the dining space.
Polypropylene mats can be used both indoors and outdoors. They are highly durable and impact-resistant. These mats discourage the growth of mildew and mold keeping the mat hygienic. Very sleek and simple, these mats provide complete protection to the flooring around the dining table. Easy to clean and use, this is surely a premium choice.
Here are some benefits of polypropylene rug:
- Polypropylene rug is mold and mildew resistant;
- It is highly durable and impact-resistant;
- You can vacuum clean the mat every day and hose clean it once in a while;
- The appearance of this mat is beautiful and has a royal and luxurious touch;
- These mats are quite inexpensive compared to carpets;
To replicate the look of a carpet, you can give this a try. It is a carpet with different properties and facilities.
Nylon Wall to Wall Carpet:
Instead of laying special rugs or carpets in the dining area, you can choose a simple nylon carpet. If you don’t want to use any replacement carpet, nylon carpet is the best choice for you. It has a very simple design but looks gorgeous in the dining area.
Nylon carpets can be laid on the entire flooring using tackless strips or you can use peel and stick carpet tiles. These carpets can be vacuum cleaned easily. Moreover, they are highly durable and resistant to stains and impacts. So regular maintenance can keep it intact and clean even under the dining table.
Here are some advantages of laying a nylon carpet in the dining space:
- Nylon carpet looks simple but elegant;
- It can be cleaned easily and regular maintenance is all you need;
- It is fairly stain-resistant and the spills can be soaked with baking soda;
- Nylon carpets are impact-resistant;
- It gives a soft foot touch and is comfortable to walk on;
Quite a good alternative to carpet, isn’t it?
What Should You Put Under My Dining Table?
You can lay a rug or carpet under the dining table which is stain and water-resistant. Else, you can have ceramic or vinyl flooring that needs no extra maintenance. Apart from that, using plastic mats under the chair is a solution in which you need no other layer. However, if the flooring isn’t water-resistant, use plastic mats on it to save it from spills, moisture, etc.
How Far Should Carpet Stick Out From The Dining Table?
As you place chairs around the table, the carpet should be big enough to accommodate the table as well as the chairs. The general rule is to extend the carpet or rug at least 24 inches out from the table. This is a general measurement that can accommodate the chairs and the table.
How Can You Protect Your Carpet?
There are some general rules to protect the carpet. Here are some maintenance tips:
Vacuum clean the carpet every day;
Blot up the spills immediately to prevent staining;
Deep clean the carpet if it becomes cloudy and the fiber become sticky;
Use a carpet protectant;
Maintain these rules to protect the carpet.
Now you know different ways of protecting the carpet under the dining table. It should not be a challenge anymore as you have a lot of options right in this article. Now consider these alternatives and choose which method you will apply to protect the carpet beneath the dining table.